I was brainstorming butterbeer and thinking, what do I make next? There’s butterbeer cupcakes, butterbeer waffles, butterbeer milkshakes, butterbeer cake, etc etc. And then I thought, instead of creating a gazillion butterbeer recipes, how about I create a butterbeer sauce so you can upgrade ANYTHING to be butterbeer flavoured?
So, because there’s two different types of butterbeer, the 1500’s version and the Wizarding World version, there will be two versions in the end. This version, which happens to be my favourite out of the two, is based off of the alcoholic flavoured butterbeer.
- 1½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup British ale (Speckled Hen)
- 35g good quality unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 300ml thickened cream
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir together the white sugar, British ale and butter.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and add in the pumpkin pie spice and the brown sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, stir in the thickened cream.
- Let cool before pouring into a glass jar. (The mixture will be runny).
- Screw on a top, place in the fridge and let cool.
- Butterbeer sauce will last for 3 weeks in the fridge.
Need some more ideas on how you can use this sauce? Don’t forget to share the butterbeer love around!